But will other offices take the cue and implement similar pages to their County websites?
Probably not. Okay, the Commissioners might. I urge them to do so. There is some already up there like PDFs of County orders - but I urge the County to list the title and short description instead of just the County Record number.
The incumbent Clerk lost the election because she led hiding public information and the office dragging their feet responding to requests for information. The Clerk evidently has more power over website access by other departments than the county IT department. Does that make sense? It's not statutorily based the Clerk have that power.
The Collector's office - Will we see Homestead Act tax credits on our property tax bills in 2026? Will those of us who overpaid property taxes in 2025 get the promised refund/tax credit in 2026 on our "frozen" Senior Property Tax credits?
How about the Auditor and Treasurer blocking citizens from their social media posts because they didn't want opposing comments or questions about their conduct and job performance? This will take more research but some are calling for federal civil rights violations lawsuits based on SCOTUS decisions like 𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑑𝑘𝑒 𝑣. 𝐹𝑟𝑒𝑒𝑑 (2024) involving public elected officials and social media or website commentary. Stay tuned. I am looking into this. And I am keeping watch on potential investigations into alleged petition signature harvesting at memory and elder care centers by the four independents running and their campaign manager - an elder health care worker herself. Shameful.
January cannot come soon enough but November 3rd must come first and I am just trying to inform the voters so we can elect responsible people, or at least throw out the old guard that spent our money recklessly and kept matters under wrap. I am very disappointed with the elected and its why I ran - to solicit change. But others had different plans for me and so be it. The voters will get what they deserve. I pray the challengers, once elected, will stand up, do the right thing, fight the good fight and change the direction and culture. I know they all have promised to do so. Every campaign makes promises and once in office some successful candidates get promise amnesia. The lure and seduction of money and power over ride actually serving the people. And folks I am talking both political parties. Neither has a monopoly on "win at all costs but serve yourself once in office". This must stop. We need to hold them accountable. Best of intentions or not, actions and at least trying hard to implement change will benefit us all. Just stating intentions but never following through will simply not be tolerated. There are many of us out here ready to be watchdogs and, in a civil manner, hold our elected accountable. I do have faith many of our candidates will work to improve and change county government. Not sure all will or be able to. Now is the time for brutal honesty. Our tax dollars are at stake and perhaps to some extent, our way of life is at stake.
November 3rd will be an anxious night as election returns are reported. I believe it could be one of the most important in our Nation's history to date. Select your vote carefully. Even not voting on various issues or for various candidates is a vote. It says you don't agree with a yes or no for an issue or for either candidate for an office. I expect to see lots of write in votes this November. But staying home is not an option. Get out and VOTE! It is the last glorious right and power we the people have left. And even that is being manipulated this season. We didn't get to vote for a County Prosecuting Attorney. Nothing illegal. All the rules were followed. But it was shenanigans that resulted in an unopposed election. There is more and the issues will be addressed in future posts.
Remember to vote in November! Its your duty as a citizen!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.